York, Leeds, Sheffield
A witness statement is a document recording a person’s own account of the facts. The statement records the witness’s account in a chronological sequence. It is made to their own knowledge and belief.
Reasons for witness statements
There are many uses for a signed statement from a witness. The most common uses are:
- Road traffic accidents.
- Trip and slip accidents.
- Accidents at work.
- Criminal investigations.
Our service committment
The Witness Statement service:
- Please telephone or email us with your instructions so that we can confirm our availability.
- Your instructions are confirmed by email.
- We contact the witness to arrange a convenient time to take the statement.
- At the meeting we explain the process to the witness and take the statement.
- The witness statement is returned by post to you. When required it can also be sent to you by email.
Information for witnessess
A witness statement is a written statement of your account of the facts relating to the event under consideration.
- Statements should be limited to the facts with comments based on your opinions kept to a minimum.
- A witness statement is an important part of a case. It is important therefore to ensure the statement is comprehensive.
- The person taking the statement will ask you if you wish to write the statement. You do not have to and they will write down your words for you.
- The statement must be in your words. Therefore, it is important that you understand what is included in your statement and that it reflects accurately your account of the facts. The statement taker will explain the details of the process at the meeting.
- You sign and date the statement.
Statement of Truth
- At the end of the witness statement, you state that you believe the facts stated in the witness statement to be true and accurate.
- Proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against a person if they make a false statement in a witness statement verified by a statement of truth, where there is no honest belief in its truth.
Where we work
Cohen and Black is based and works in the Yorkshire triangle of York, Leeds and Sheffield and surrounding area of Northern England.
- York region
- Sheffield region
- Leeds region
- 01904 236 332
- 03330 145 672
- 03330 145 672